Windpower Monthly rating 4/5

Our rating is based on a combination of project pipeline, political and policy support, investor confidence and structural readiness of the country in terms of grid infrastructure, permitting process and local supply chain.

Forecast of installed and operating wind power capacity based on the latest statisitics and measured against the Windpower Intelligence database.

The Mexican government introduced several measures to promote clean energy projects, particularly renewable energies, including clean energy requirements for large offtakers and utility service providers, the creation of a market for clean energy certificates, special dispatch procedures, tax incentives and auctions for the award of long term PPAs for the purchase of clean energy.

The government is also aggressively targetting 14GW of total wind capacity by 2022, up from the just over 4GW installed at the end of 2017.

This is being achieved through a series of auctions, which have produced record low prices for wind projects anywhere, $18.86/MWh.

The country’s first privately-built transmission line is also under development, following a government procurement round in a bid to encourage further renewables on to the grid.

There are substantial grid limitations in certain areas that will need to be overcome to permit the installation and expansion of wind power projects and other generation facilities throughout the system.

Tender Watch

Mexico In-Depth

Market Status: Mexico - Awaiting pay model in market reform

Market Status: Mexico - Awaiting pay model in market reform

MEXICO By the end of 2014 the country had 732MW of new wind capacity under construction, all of which will enter operation in 2015, according to Mexican wind energy association Amdee.

Energy reform triggers wind take-off in Mexico

Energy reform triggers wind take-off in Mexico

MEXICO: The fine details of Mexico's new legislation to liberalise its energy market have yet to be thrashed out, but experienced wind developers in Latin America's second-biggest market are pushing ahead with optimism and confidence.

Brazilian production bases set to lead expansion

Brazilian production bases set to lead expansion

LATIN AMERICA: We detail the most up-to-date data for Latin America's installed and upcoming wind power capacity, country by country. Measured against our map of turbine production facilities shows a need for more factories or improvement in transport infrastructures.

Latin America surges from potential to power

Latin America surges from potential to power

LATIN AMERICA: Favourable wind resources and government policy have driven exponential expansion in the Latin American wind market. Predictions that by 2020 capacity will have grown fivefold are making the region a safe haven for beleaguered US and European manufacturers.

Wind prepares to conquer new heights

Wind prepares to conquer new heights

LATIN AMERICA: South America is widely regarded as the most promising of emerging wind-power markets, but for the countries on the continent's western flank there remains a formidable obstacle: the Andes, the longest mountain range in the world.

Latest Mexico news

Mexican debut for uprated SGRE model

Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy (SGRE) has been awarded the first contract for its 4MW class of turbines since upgrading the platform's nominal power rating to 4.5MW.

Mexican tender suspension 'understandable'

Assuming no further unwelcome changes are to follow, the suspension of Mexico's fourth clean energy auction is unlikely to dent investors confidence, according to a senior analyst.

Mexico suspends ongoing clean energy tender

MEXICO: The new government has suspended an ongoing clean energy auction without saying when results will be announced or when contracts may be awarded.

TPI to extend Mexico facility for Vestas

MEXICO: Blade manufacturer TPI Composites will add two additional production lines at its site in Matamoros, after long-term customer Vestas exercised an option under the two companies' supply agreement.

Wind projects secure 43.5% in Mexican auction

MEXICO: Wind projects took almost 45% of the successful clean energy capacity in Mexico's latest power auction, with solar taking the remaining 55%, as prices fell to an average of $20.57/MWh.

Subscribe to Windpower Monthly