A roof-top wind generator has been launched in Glasgow that will allow householders and businesses to play a part in meeting the UK's renewables targets. The Windsave "Plug&Save" micro-wind generator was developed by Glasgow entrepreneur David Gordon, who has put over £1 million into the project. The 750 Watt unit is already being piloted by two Scottish councils: Glasgow and North Lanarkshire. Gordon's company, Windsave Ltd, says each unit will cut electricity bills by some 15% a year -- and earn their users around £120 in sales of the renewables obligation certificates (ROCs) attached to the electricity produced. Windsave, as provider of the units and aggregator of the ROCs, will retain 20% of the ROCs income to cover administrative costs, passing the other 80% on to the customer as a "green dividend." The project has the support of former energy minister Brian Wilson. What distinguishes Windsave from any other micro-wind product, says Wilson, is Gordon's determination to make it affordable and suitable for mass domestic use. "There is no reason in principle why these units should not be as commonplace on the nation's roofs as chimneys, television aerials and satellite dishes," he says. The concept brings a third dimension to the wind power industry: onshore, offshore and plug-in, adds Wilson. According to Gordon, Windsave is initially targeting housing associations, local authorities and government bodies. "We are looking at economies of scale first before we roll out the domestic product, but it will be available to the householder in the near future," he adds.