United States

United States

Pennsylvania state leads in renewables purchases

Pennsylvania recently signed a pact making it the largest purchaser of renewable energy for state government facilities in the US. The agreement, with Community Energy of Wayne, Pennsylvania, calls for 20% of the state's electricity to come from renewables, doubling the current contract. Pennsylvania now pays an annual $70 million on electricity and the new deal is expected to mean an increase of less than 1% in spending. The two-year contract is retroactive to July 1 and calls for 40% of the agreed proportion of renewables electricity to be generated from wind power, with the remaining 60% to come from hydroelectric sources. Maine buys 30% of its electricity from renewables but, in terms of volume, Pennsylvania becomes the leader at 200,000 MW a year. "Taking the lead on renewable energy benefits Pennsylvania both environmentally and economically," says Community Energy's Brent Alderfer. "The Commonwealth's decision to increase its use of clean, renewable energy is an investment that helps secure the future for all Pennsylvanians." The deal places Pennsylvania in twelfth position on the most recent Top 25 Green Power Partner list published by the Environmental Protection Agency, up from 25th place in March. Pennsylvania is the only state to rank as a Green Power Partner. Community Energy, founded in 1999, markets and develops wind energy. In May the company became a subsidiary of Spain's Iberdrola, the world's largest owner and operator of renewable energy facilities.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Windpower Monthly Events


Latest Jobs