India

India

National Thermal Power Corp announces 1 GW wind plan

India's leading power generating company, National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), says it hopes to install 1000 MW of renewable energy plant by 2017, including 650 MW of wind capacity. The state-owned company has already issued a tender for a 100 MW wind farm to get the ball rolling. While Tamil Nadu is expected to house the development, bidders can suggest up to four different locations. A final date for bid submissions has not been announced. To help achieve its target, NTPC has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Asian Development Bank, GE Energy Financial Services, Kyushu Electric Power and Brookfield Renewable Power, which will see them form a renewable energy joint venture company. NTPC would be the major shareholder with a 40% stake, while the remaining 60% would be split equally between the others. Initially, the joint venture is hoping to install 500 MW of capacity, to include some wind projects in India, although it says it may consider projects in other countries in future.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Windpower Monthly Events


Latest Jobs