Annual global installation of wind power capacity is running at 1300 MW and is expected to rise to 3000 MW within three years, Birger Madsen told EWEC '97. Over the next five years, 11,400 MW will be installed, all but 2000 MW of this in Europe. The wind industry, continued Madsen, is well prepared for the growth rates ahead, with advances in technology keeping pace with the demands of the market. Wind turbines have grown in size from an average of 200 kW in 1992 to 600 kW today. With the new generation of megawatt technology, the trend "will most likely continue for some years ahead," he added. He also mentioned emergence of the Enercon direct-drive (no gearbox) concept technology in 1992, referring to it as "a significant technical development" and the "only brand new concept." Around ten manufacturers share 80% of the wind market, although there are 40-50 suppliers of commercial wind turbines, said Madsen. The remaining 20% of market demand is met mainly by local assembly of wind turbines in India from component sets supplied from Denmark, but about 6% (75 MW) is being sold by companies outside the top ten. These smaller companies, though, are growing. Madsen expects small firms from Spain, the Netherlands, Italy and the US to provide "substantial amounts of new capacity" this year, though he doubts any will make it into the top ten.
Leading business intelligence for the wind community.
- In-depth news, analysis, market insight and trends.
- Join today and get your first 30 days free
GVWT Energy Pte Ltd hopes to create a storm in the renewables industry when its first generation 3MW Guided Vane Wind Turbine (GVWT) is installed at a site in Singapore later this year. At scale the GVW turbine can potentially produce energy at a cost of $0.01/kwh
BOEM launches public consultation ahead of environmental review for Avangrid Renewables’ 800MW-plus project
Turbine manufacturer reports triple-digit million euro loss in third quarter, but CEO buoyed by swelling order book
Last year was a record for new US wind power, according to the American Clean Power Association (ACP), but 2021 could rival 2020
Research partners hope automated process can improve throughput, health, safety and quality in blade finishing
German developer’s operating profit impacted by low winds, onshore and offshore, but expects results to even out in H2
Equinor and government group Marine Scotland launch investigation on safe fishing around floating offshore wind
Vietnam’s offshore wind sector has attracted much interest. But what needs to be done for it to grow and succeed?
Lack of manufacturing facilities, US-registered vessels and dedicated ports could cause country to miss federal target, new report warns
The turbine manufacturer has set itself recycling targets. But how will it get there, and what challenges does it face?
New research suggests VAWTs could surpass current offshore giants. Eize de Vries talks to an aerodynamics expert who disagrees
Siemens Gamesa’s Morten Vindbjerg discusses how advances in imaging technology, artificial intelligence (AI) and big data are being harnessed to optimise the maintenance of blades
Read on for tips and analysis shared by environmental, energy and offshore experts during an Windpower Monthly-ENDS Report roundtable discussion
Pegasus & WBD
Does the key to cutting O&M costs lie in improving the efficiency of technicians and the use of digital technologies? Read this Windpower Monthly & LexX Technologies Report to find out...