MingYang and BASF team up for 500MW offshore wind farm in China

German chemical major BASF has joined forces with Chinese wind manufacturer MingYang to develop an offshore wind farm in the South China Sea. 

BASF's Verbund site in Ludwigshafen, Germany. The offshore wind farm will power a similar site currently being developed in Zhanjiang, China

The agreement will see both companies jointly develop, construct and operate a 500MW capacity wind farm off the coast of Zhanjiang in Guangdong province, southern China.

The partners have formed a joint venture for the project, Mingyang BASF New Energy (Zhanjiang) Co, with MingYang as the majority shareholder (90%) and BASF owning the remaining 10%.

The wind farm is expected to be commissioned by 2025. Most of the energy it produces will go directly to BASF’s planned Verbund site in Zhanjiang – a chemical production plant that integrates product flows, energy and infrastructure – which will subsequently be powered entirely by clean energy once it opens, according to the German company. 

BASF said its Verbund site in Zhanjiang represents the company’s largest investment with up to €10 billion expected to be funnelled into the project, which will be the chemical firm's third largest such site worldwide after Ludwigshafen in Germany, and Antwerp in Belgium.

“As a partner of BASF, MingYang will provide its expertise in clean energy equipment and solutions to help create more green lighthouse projects, promote sustainable development in the chemical industry, and accelerate eco-friendly, green and low-carbon development,” Zhang Chuanwei, founder and board chairman at MingYang, said.

MingYang has an installed wind capacity of at least 38.6GW worldwide according to Windpower Intelligence, the data and research division of Windpower Monthly. 

BASF already owns a stake in the 1520MW Hollandse Kust Zuid in the Dutch North Sea and has offtake agreements with offshore wind farms in Germany.