Finland

Finland

Glennmont commissions Finland’s largest onshore wind farm

Clean energy firm commissions wind farm featuring Vestas turbines selling power to Google and Vattenfall

Glennmont's Piiparinmaki project is the largest operational wind farm in Finland
Glennmont's Piiparinmaki project is the largest operational wind farm in Finland

Clean energy fund manager Glennmont Partners has commissioned its 211MW Piiparinmäki Piiparinmäki (211MW) OnshorePyhäntä and Kajaani, Finland, Europe Click to see full details project in southern Finland – the largest wind farm in the Nordic nation.

The project in the Kainuu region of southern Finland consists of 41 Vestas turbines and supplies power to technology giant Google and Swedish utility Vattenfall.

Glennmont owns 85% of Piiparinmaki, while Japanese utility Kansai Electric Power Company owns the remaining 15%.

All of  Piiparinmaki’s turbines are now fully operational and connected to the grid, making it the largest fully operational wind farm in Finland, according to Windpower Intelligence, the research and data division of Windpower Monthly.

It features 13 of Vestas’ V150-4.2MW turbines and 28 of its V150-5.6MW turbines.

Google buys output through a ten-year power purchase agreement, while utility Vattenfall buys output through a merchant agreement.

Project developer Ilmatar Energy’s services unit will manage the day-to-day operation of the wind farm, with oversight from Glennmont’s asset management team.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Partner content