Morocco

Morocco

EDF and Mitsui start work on Moroccan project

The first phase of the Taza wind farm from the EDF Renewables and Mitsui consortium has kicked off in northern Morocco

EDF aims to increase its global net renewable capacity from 28GW to 50GW between 2015 and 2030 (pic credit: Herve Hote/EDF)
EDF aims to increase its global net renewable capacity from 28GW to 50GW between 2015 and 2030 (pic credit: Herve Hote/EDF)

Google Translate

Developer EDF Renewables and investment firm Mitstui have started construction of a new 87MW wind farm in northern Morocco.

The project partners' 87MW Taza (phase I) Taza (phase I) (87MW) OnshoreFez-Meknès, Morocco, Middle East & Africa Click to see full details project will consist of 27 GE turbines with power ratings of 3.23MW and is due online in 2021. They are also developing a 63MW second phase due online in 2025.

EDF holds the majority 60% stake in Taza I, while Mitsui holds the remaining 40%.

Taza I has a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) with the National Office of Electricity and Drinking Water (Onee) and the Moroccan Agency for Sustainable Energy (Masen).

Bruno Bensasson, EDF group senior executive vice-president renewable energies and chief executive officer of EDF Renewables, said the wind farm will help the company meet its target of increasing global net renewable capacity from 28GW to 50GW between 2015 and 2030.

Taza I has received financial backing from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC), Nippon Export and Investment Insurance (NEXI), Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), MUFG Bank, Ltd., as well as the Moroccan lender Bank of Africa.

It is Mitsui's first renewable energy investment in Morocco.

Morocco aims to increase its renewables’ share to 52% of electricity production by 2030.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in