EnBW starts Hohe See and Albatros build

GERMANY: EnBW has commenced construction of the Hohe See and Albatros projects in the German North Sea, the developer has stated.

Swire Blue Ocean's Pacific Osprey (above) is currently being loaded with foundations for the projects' total 87 turbines
Swire Blue Ocean's Pacific Osprey (above) is currently being loaded with foundations for the projects' total 87 turbines

Hohe See, located 95 kilometres north of Borkum and 100 kilometres north-west of Heligoland, will comprise 71 of Siemens Gamesa’s SWT-7.0-154 turbines for a total capacity of 497MW.

Meanwhile, the 112MW Albatros site is "in the immediate vicinity" and will feature 16 of the same turbine model.

The sites are close to the planned area for EnBW’s 900MW He Dreiht project, which secured a zero-subsidy licence in Germany’s offshore wind auction in April 2017.

As well as providing the turbines for both projects, Siemens Gamesa is also supplying the foundations and transformer platform for Albatros.

VBMS is providing the array cabling at the sites, while a consortium of Engie Fabricom and Belgian companies Iemants and CG Holdings is responsible for Hohe See’s transformer platform.

Swire Blue Ocean’s Pacific Osprey installation ship is currently being loaded with foundations for 87 turbines and will soon depart the port of Vlissingen in the south-western Netherlands, EnBW stated.

The foundations and transformer station for the 497MW Hohe See project and the cables for both projects will be installed this year.

Albatros’ transformer station and the wind turbines for both sites will be installed next year. Both wind farms are due to be commissioned by the end of 2019, EnBW stated.

EnBW has not set up a central harbour for the two projects like it did with its 48.3MW Baltic 1 and 288MW Baltic 2 sites, it stated. Therefore, each contractor will deliver components to each site from different harbours.

Forty ships will be involved in the construction of the wind farms, and at peak times, more than 500 people will be working on the site, the developer stated.

EnBW owns a majority 50.1% stake in Hohe See and Albatros, while Canadian energy infrastructure company Enbridge owns the remaining 49.9%.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in