United Kingdom

United Kingdom

Centrica sells UK assets as wind pull-out nears completion

UK: Utility Centrica and its partner has sold its 194MW Lynn & Inner Dowsing offshore wind project and the 26MW Glens of Foudland onshore site to a consortium lead by the Green Investment Bank.

GIB has acquired a 61% stake in Lynn and Inner Dowsing
GIB has acquired a 61% stake in Lynn and Inner Dowsing

Google Translate

Centrica announced in July 2015 it would sell off its wind assets following a strategic review of the business. In July 2014, the firm said it was halting all investment in offshore wind.

The consortium comprising the government-backed Green Investment Bank and funds managed by investor BlackRock acquired the two projects for £423 million.

Centrica was part of the "GLID" 50-50 joint venture with EIG Global Energy partners that owned both projects.

Following the repayment of debts associated to the wind sites, its net proceeds from the sale will be around £115 million, said Centrica.

Once the deal is completed — expected in March 2016 — Lynn and Inner Dowsing will become the UK's first offshore project to be fully owned by non-utility investors, GIB said.

GIB will acquire a 61% stake in the offshore project, with BlackRock's funds owning the remaining 39%. The stake in the Glens of Foudland onshore project will be completely transferred to the BlackRock managed funds.

It still owns a 50% stake in the 270MW Lincs offshore project with Dong Energy and Siemens. A spokeswoman for the company said discussions were still ongoing with potential investors to acquire Centrica's last remaining wind asset.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in