GE wins 23MW deal in Italy

ITALY: GE has won a contract from Italian construction group Toto Costruzioni to supply turbines for a 22.8MW wind farm in Apulia, in southern Italy.

GE's 2.85MW turbine
GE's 2.85MW turbine

The wind farm, set to be operational early next year, will be composed of eight, GE 2.85-103 turbines.  GE said this is its first order for 2.85MW machines in Italy.

The wind farm will be operated by a project company in which Toto’s renewable energy division Renexia owns 70% and Spanish lender Banco Santander the remaining 30%.

It was assigned a feed-in-tariff of about €116/MWh in Italy’s first FIT wind tender earlier this year, will be Renexia’s first wind farm.

"There’s been a significant reduction in tariffs with the auction system," noted Renexia chief operating officer Michele Scoppio, "but we believe there are opportunities for industrial players."  

Renexia has a total onshore wind pipeline of about 220MW in Italy while it has two Tunisian onshore projects totalling 147MW in the authorisation process and is also considering offshore investments in the U.S. and Italy.

GE has about a 5% market share of Italian cumulative wind capacity, which currently stands at about 8.4GW.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in