Visit windpowermonthlyevents.com for the latest on our upcoming conferences and webcasts

Spain

Spain

Building activity in Brazil and Mexico

Spanish utility Iberdrola is to start construction of nearly 152 MW of wind power in Brazil and Mexico, according to chairman Iñigo de Oriol. Iberdrola is indicating that its total investment for Brazil and Mexico will be EUR 195-210 million.

Iberdrola's Brazilian unit, Energias Renovaveis do Brasil, or Enerbrasil, is to build a 49.3 MW plant, Rio do Fogo, in Maxaranguape in Rio Grande do Norte in the northeast of the country. The contract was secured under the government's Proinfa program for renewable energy, which stipulates the plant must be online by December 2006. It is one of eight projects for a total of 462.3 MW that Iberdrola was awarded at different stages of the Proinfa selection process. The company turned down all the contracts except Rio do Fogo.

In Mexico, Iberdrola has paid a reported EUR 500,000 to buy a 98% stake in Parques Ecológicos de México, which is developing a 102.5 MW wind plant at La Ventosa, Juchitán, to supply factories in the state of Oaxaca. According to permits authorised by Mexico's electricity regulator, the Comisión Reguladora de Energía (CRE), La Ventosa will produce 472.14 GWh a year. The project is scheduled to start construction next month, with the first phase online by December. The second and third stages, for a further 82.5 MW, are scheduled for completion by January 2006, according to CRE. Among potential customers for the power are state-run oil giant Petróleos Mexicanos, cement maker Cementos Apasco, and Volkswagen's Pubela factory.

The previous owners of Parques Ecológicos were Spain's PSI Ecuación de Onda SL, which owned 60% of the company, while the remaining 40% was split between Jaime Tarragona Sosa and Enjore Lubricantes SA de CV.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Sign up now
Already registered?
Sign in

Before commenting please read our rules for commenting on articles.

If you see a comment you find offensive, you can flag it as inappropriate. In the top right-hand corner of an individual comment, you will see 'flag as inappropriate'. Clicking this prompts us to review the comment. For further information see our rules for commenting on articles.

comments powered by Disqus

Windpower Monthly Events

Latest Jobs