The Portuguese government has launched Phase C of its public tender for wind power projects, inviting bids for 200 MW of wind capacity, distributed in 13 lots. The tender comes three years after it was originally announced and follows two previous phases in which 1200 MW was awarded to the Eólicas de Portugal consortium, headed by Energia de Portugal, in 2006, and 400 MW to the Ventinveste consortium, headed by Galp, last year. The latest round was originally planned for small investors only, but the government says it is now open to all interested parties, including the winners of the previous tenders if they want to compete. "There will be no restrictions because legally it is not possible to exclude a competitor," says the economy ministry. The 200 MW has been divided into lots "in order to create an attractive portfolio for different types of investors," he says. Some of the lots up for grabs range between 20-50 MW, with a July 18 deadline for submission of bids, although most are just 5-8 MW, with a June 27 deadline. The biggest projects are located in the districts of Torre de Moncorvo (50 MW), Castelo Branco (25 MW), Macedos de Cavaleiro, Valpaços and Mirandela (25 MW), Tábua (25 MW), and Vila Nova de Ourém (20 MW), with a July 18 deadline for submission of bids. Portuguese renewable energy developer Nutroton Energias, which owns a 10 MW wind project on the island of Madeira, is one of the first to confirm its participation in the tender.
Have you registered with us yet?
Register now to enjoy more articles and free email bulletins.