Speaking at the Long Island Power Authority’s (LIPA) board of trustees meeting last Thursday, LIPA chief operating officer Michael Hervey said the Long Island-New York Offshore Project had been removed from a list of schemes being considered by regional transmission body New York Independent System Operator (NY ISO).
According to Long Island Business News, Hervey said the project - proposed by the New York City-Long Island Offshore Wind Collaborative, a joint initiative between LIPA, the New York Power Authority and Consolidated Edison, among others - had failed to make the progress necessary to remain in the NY ISO queue.
"We just were not in a position to demonstrate the type of control and maturity of the project to go ahead with the NY ISO on their calendar," Hervey said.
He added that further "detailed economic analysis" of the project was necessary before it could re-enter the race for grid access.
The Long Island-New York Offshore Project has previously reached an initial stage of development and was even handed to developer NextEra, before being placed on the backburner in 2006 following cost projection analysis.
Last summer NYPA revived the scheme by announcing it was applying for a lease for an area of Atlantic seabed with the intention of building a wind farm there by 2016.
The wind project site includes an area of approximately 64,500 acres of underwater land and is approximately 13 to 15 miles offshore of Long Island in the Atlantic Ocean’s Outer Continental Shelf.