The survey, conducted in association with GL Garrad Hassan, examined the regions around the world where wind power has flourished.
Notably the final 10 contain locations from three country’s; the US, Germany and Spain. There are also some surprising omissions like Scotland and Ontario, Canada, which did not make the final cut.
Brandenburg’s capacity (4.1GW) per capita (population 2.5million) led to it taking the top spot. Germany’s Renewable Energy Act was also credited with giving the country such a strong presence on the top 10.
- 1. BRANDENBURG, Germany - capacity per capita takes it to the top spot.
- 2. CASTILE LA MANCHA, Spain - strong regional backing.
- 3. CASTILE AND LEON, Spain - highest capacity in Spain.
- 4. LOWER SAXONY, Germany - home to Enercon.
- 5. INNER MONGOLIA, China - similar capacity to Texas despite low population.
- 6. TEXAS, United States - 9.4GW online at the end of 2009.
- 7. IOWA, United States - leading US state after Texas in capacity.
- 8. SAXONY-ANHALT, Germany - strong government support for wind.
- 9. GALICIA, Spain - Atlantic coast provides excellent wind resource.
- 10. TAMIL NADU, India - 42% of India's wind installations.